IMPORTANT NOTICE: Effective in 2016, the ABN will no longer issue license cards. Click HERE for more information.
Skip Navigation Links
Alabama Board of Nursing

NOTE: If you are attempting to complete the Licensure by Endorsement application, please use another browser other than FIREFOX. Others browsers such as INTERNET EXPLORER or CHROME will work. Also, make sure scripting is enabled.

If you are or were licensed in another state and wish to acquire an Alabama License you need to apply for licensure by Endorsement.

An RN license that is issued between now and 08/31/2016 will receive an active license with an expiration date of 12/31/2016.

An LPN license that is issued between now and 08/31/2017 will receive an active license with an expiration date of 12/31/2017.


It is the responsibility of the nurse to complete the Endorsement application.  Do not complete the application for anyone but yourself.

  • A completed Endorsement application
  • Appropriate fees
    $85.00 for the endorsement application, an additional $50.00 if requesting a temporary permit and a $3.50 transaction fee.  Be advised that pursuant to Alabama Board of Nursing Administrative Code Section 610-X-4-.14(1), fees and fines are non-refundable.  Your application fee for a temporary permit will not be refunded, even if your Alabama nursing license is issued first or you are deemed ineligible for a temporary permit.
  • Verification of Licensure
    Contact your original Board of Nursing to request that a verification of licensure be mailed to the Alabama Board of Nursing. A copy of your license IS NOT verification. Only an original verification from your original state of licensure is accepted (not facsimile).
    If your original state of licensure is Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana (RN only), Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia (PN only), Wisconsin or Wyoming you must order license verification from
  • Nursing School Transcript

    Contact your school of nursing to request that an official transcript be mailed to the Alabama Board of Nursing. Transcripts must be received at the Alabama Board of Nursing in a sealed envelope from your school of nursing. Transcripts via fax are not acceptable.

    Alabama law requires that you graduate from a practical nursing program to be eligible for an LPN license and graduate from a registered nursing program to be eligible for RN licensure.  Alabama does not license individuals who took the PN exam after partial completion of an RN program. Alabama law requires graduation from a program accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
  • Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
    You must have 24 contact hours to endorse. All required contact hours may be obtained from the following activities: workshops, seminars, classroom, web casts, internet, intranet, home study, continuing education journals, and pod casts. Contact hours should be no older than 24 months from the date we receive your application. All CE certificates must be mailed or faxed to our office.  CE certificates can be sent via facsimile to 334-293-5201, Attn: Wendy Looney
  • Proof of United States Citizenship or Lawful Presence in the United States
    Alabama immigration law requires that before the Board of Nursing issues a temporary permit or a license, the applicant for licensure by endorsement has to prove U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the US. Please complete the form for U.S. Citizenship or Non-Citizen/Lawful Presence and submit the appropriate documents along with the checklist to the address, email address, or fax number on the form.

    U.S. Citizen Checklist

    Not a U.S. Citizen Checklist

    If requesting a Temporary permit, you must mail in a notarized copy of your current/active license card.  The license card must reflect the effective dates of the license. A certificate of licensure is not accepted for the issuance of a temporary permit.

    If the state you are coming from no longer issues license cards with the effective dates, we will accept a notarized copy of the online verification page (which reflects name, license #, status, and effective dates) from the Board of Nursing website for the issuance of the temporary permit.

    Do not submit any documentation (verification, transcript, CE, notarized copy or legal documentation) before the application and fee has been submitted.

Please contact Wendy Looney by email at with any questions.