A Social Security number is required prior to issuance of a license.
Prior to licensure, individuals educated in other countries who wish to practice in Alabama must:
- Provide certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS). Also, have a full course by course evaluation package furnished by CGFNS forwarded to the Alabama Board of Nursing.
- Be a graduate of a nursing education program approved by the proper authorities in the country where the program is located.
- Meet the requirements for nursing program content employed as criteria for approval in Alabama at the time of the applicant’s graduation.
- Make up any educational deficiencies.
- Provide proof of completion of secondary school or its equivalent.
- Pass the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX).