IMPORTANT NOTICE: Effective January 1, 2016, the ABN will no longer issue license cards. Click HERE for more information.
Skip Navigation Links
Continuing Education
Employer Information
Nursing Practice
Advanced Practice
Nursing Programs
Alternative Program
FAQ - Endorsement

Q.  Can I apply for licensure by endorsement if my school is not accredited?


A. No. Alabama law requires graduation from a program accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Q.  How long does it take to get a license?


A.  There is no timetable for issuing licenses.  A license will only be issued when all requirements are completed.  Applications are processed on a first-in first-out basis.



Q.  How much does it cost?


A. $85.00 for the application, an additional $50.00 if requesting a temporary permit and a $3.50 transaction fee



Q.  My nursing school is closed.  How can I obtain a transcript?


A.  Contact the Board of Nursing in the state where your school was located.  Someone was appointed receivership of the school’s records.



Q.  How can I apply for a temporary permit? How long is it valid?  Do I have to have CE to obtain a temporary permit?


A. There are four requirements to issue the temp permit: completed endorsement application, fee , citizenship documentation and a notarized copy of a current/active license card. Answering ‘yes’ to any of the regulation questions will delay the issuance of the temporary permit. Temporary permits allow you to work for 90 days while you complete the other requirements for licensure, including CE.



Q.  I’ve held an Alabama license in the past.  I also hold licensure in other states.  Do I need to endorse?


A.  Once you’ve had an Alabama license, you always have an Alabama license.  If you did not keep it current, then the status is lapsed and you will need to reinstate it.



Q.  My original state of licensure is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact.  Is this acceptable for Alabama?


A.  Alabama is not a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact.  It is mandatory to obtain an Alabama license in order to work or practice in Alabama.



Q.  How do I obtain my contact hours?


A.  You may search for CE Providers in your area and browse through a list of upcoming CE opportunities under the Continuing Ed section of the Board’s website.  You can also search the internet for continuing education for nurses. Keep in mind, that MEDCEU ( contact hours are not accepted by the Alabama Board of Nursing.



Q.  What is the earning period for the contact hours?


A.  Contact hours should be no older than 24 months from the date you apply.



Q.  The state I am endorsing from does not require contact hours.  Do I still need to have them?


A. All endorsement applicants are required to submit 24 contact hours of continuing education, even if they are coming from a state that does not require them.



Q.  I am a new graduate.  Do I need 24 contact hours?  Can my college course work be used as continuing education?


A.  All endorsement applicants, regardless of their date of graduation or date of licensure, are required to submit 24 contact hours of continuing education.  We only accept college courses toward the CE requirement if they were completed after obtaining initial licensure as a nurse.



Q.  I was licensed in another state as an LPN based on the partial completion of an RN program.  Am I eligible for licensure by endorsement as an LPN in Alabama?


A.  In order to apply for LPN licensure, you must have graduated or successfully completed an approved practical nursing program in Alabama, or an approved practical nursing program located in another state or territory that substantially meets the same educational criteria as Alabama programs.  You can not apply for licensure as an LPN based on the partial completion of an RN program. 


Q.  I am an Excelsior Graduate.  Am I eligible for licensure by Endorsement?


A.  Excelsior’s one day or one weekend of testing is not clinical and does not meet our requirements.  You would have to demonstrate that you meet the requirements for Alabama, which includes theory and clinical in adult, maternal-child and psychiatric nursing.  Each applicant is reviewed individually.  We do not prescreen so we can not tell in advance if you will meet the requirements or not.  You would need to supply a copy of your LPN transcript (if applicable) and work experience as a way to demonstrate that you meet the requirements.


Q.  I started the Endorsement process, but have had a change of plans.  Can I get a refund?


A.  Fees paid to the Alabama Board of Nursing are not refundable.  Your application and fees will remain active for one year.  You would be able to complete the endorsement process at any time within that period.



Q.  I will be moving during the endorsement process.  Will my license or other correspondence be forwarded?


A.  Most of the Board’s mail is not forwarded due to the nature of the contents.  Please be sure to keep your address up to date with the Board office.  There is a $25 fee to resend mail that is returned to the Board office.



Q.  The Board of Nursing for my original licensure says my verification should come from NURSYS.  How is this done?


A.  You need to go and follow their instructions for requesting verification.



Q.  How can I check the status of my application?


A.  You can check the status of your application under the “Status Check” section of the Board’s website.  The endorsement status check provides you with a checklist of items that the Board is still waiting to receive.  Once the license is issued you will be directed to the “License Look-Up” section of the Board’s website.



Q.  How can I verify that my license has been issued?


A.  You can view the licensure information under the license lookup section of the Board’s website, by entering your name.  The hard copy wallet card should arrive by mail in about two weeks.


Q.  How will Endorsement affect upcoming license renewals and effective dates?


A.  An RN license that is issued between now and 08/31/2016 will receive an active license with an expiration date of 12/31/2016.

An LPN license that is issued between now and 08/31/2015 will receive an active license with an expiration date of 12/31/2015.

If the applicant for licensure by endorsement is issued a license during the renewal period for that license type, the license shall expire at the end of the next license period.  Nurses whose licenses are issued through the endorsement process shall accrue for the first license renewal one contact hour for each calendar month remaining in the earning period.  Contact hours earned for initial licensure by endorsement may not be used toward the continuing education requirement for the next license renewal period. 



Q.    The state I’m coming from no longer issues license cards.  What do I need to submit to obtain a temporary permit?

A.  If the state you are coming from no longer issues license cards, we will accept a notarized screen print of the online verification page (which reflects name, license #, status and effective dates) from the Board of Nursing website for the issuance of a temporary permit.